Tang Media Partners Founder and CEO Donald Tang who recently purchased Open Road Films among other entertainment properties, video streaming giant and Alibaba property Youku Tudou Inc. Director of International Content Cooperation Catherine Zhang and Hollywood lawyer Sky Moore, a partner at Greenberg Glusker, will be featured at a brand-new China Track when TheWrap’s eighth annual TheGrill kicks off on Monday, October 2 at Montage Beverly Hills.
They will be joined by Stanley Rosen, China expert and professor of political science at the University of Southern California; Chris Fenton, president of DMG Entertainment Motion Picture Group & General Manager, DMG North America and Dan Clivner, co-managing partner, Sidley Austin LLP for three panel discussions addressing some of the biggest issues facing the entertainment industry as it relates to China.
(Dan Clivner, Co-Managing Partner, Sidley Austin LLP; Stanley Rosen, Professor Political Science, University Southern California; Sky Moore, Partner, Greenberg Glusker)
Also Read: 'The Silence,' 'American Paradise' Take Top Prizes at TheWrap's Shortlist Film Festival 2017
After years of double-digit growth, the Chinese box office flat-lined in 2016. It lagged in 2017 until a domestic blockbuster was birthed with the $800 million gross of “Wolf Warriors 2.” Is that a sign of things to come? Chinese companies are as keen as ever to partner with Hollywood’s iconic entertainment giants.
But after a string of overvalued Hollywood acquisitions the government has cracked down on investment abroad, especially as regards entertainment. How can Hollywood companies continue to partner with China? China has leapfrogged the United States on technology when it comes to streamed entertainment. Online video is a massive category, what can the U.S. learn from Chinese innovation?
During three panels in The China Track, the two-day TheGrill conference will delve into the rapidly changing rules and norms of partnering with the fastest-growing market for entertainment. Key topics to be covered include: Box Office: Which Way is Up?; Making Deals with China — How to Get It Done; and Digital Fast Forward: What’s Next in Online Entertainment?
Also Read: TheGrill Special Event With Kevin Smith: AMC and SundanceTV President Charlie Collier Joins
Hot Topics To Be Covered At TheGrill
- The diversity challenge From Silicon Valley to Hollywood Boulevard, everyone is talking about how to make a diverse workforce a reality. We’re filling this panel with influential voices who are driving change.
- How to build a next stage media company No silos, no walls! Hear from the people who are successfully leading the way forward and leaving traditional systems for producing and distributing content behind.
- What makes for good VR experiences? The logistics are complicated, the cost is high and the audience is still small. TheGrill welcomes the best minds in the biz as they grapple with whether VR and AR represent the next big thing.
- Returning this year — The Silicon Beach Roundtable brings leading digital media entrepreneurs, financiers and big media executives for an exchange of ideas and find solutions to shared problems.
- New this year — The Independent Producers Roundtable brings together leading producers to tackle the challenges facing independent producers across the spectrum of content platforms and formats.
Buy your tickets before prices go up on August 31!
Further distinguished speakers and special guests will be announced shortly, stay tuned!
TheGrill 2017 returns with two full days packed with hard-hitting conversations, high level networking & Industry icons discussing the EDGE of content and tech.
Now in its eighth year, TheGrill leads the conversation on convergence between entertainment, media and technology, bringing together newsmakers to debate the challenges and opportunities facing content in the digital age.
Diverse programming anchored by versatile talent and supported by big brands has always been the hallmark of Hollywood. As technology brings new models to the fore — in production, distribution, display and monetization — TheGrill is a platform for the leaders, the deciders and the disruptpors to explore this reconfigured landscape as it continues to transforms around us.