‘Love Island’ Host Caroline Flack Steps Down After Assault Charge

“I feel the best thing I can do is to stand down for Series 6,” host of hit U.K. reality series says

Caroline Flack has stepped down as host of hit U.K. reality show “Love Island” after she was charged with assault last week.

Flack, who has been with the show since 2015, opened up about the incident in her Instagram Stories on Tuesday.

“There have been a significant number of media reports and allegations in regards to my personal life. While matters were not as have been reported, I am committed to co-operating with the appropriate authorities and I can’t comment further on these matters until the legal process is over,” Flack wrote.

“However, ‘Love Island’ has been my world for the last five years, it’s the best show on telly. In order to not detract attention from the upcoming series I feel the best thing I can do is to stand down for Series 6. I want to wish the incredible team working on the show a fantastic series in Cape Town,” the 40-year-old British personality added.

A spokesperson for London Metropolitan confirmed to TheWrap that Flack was charged with assault by beating on Dec. 13. The man reported to be assaulted was not seriously injured, according to the report, which does not name him. The Guardian, however identifies the victim as Flack’s boyfriend, 27-year-old Lewis Burton.

Flack mentioned Burton in her Instagram statement. “I have never experienced such kindness and love in my whole life… from total strangers who send messages to me offering hep and understand,” she wrote. “Please know that I see them.. and my boyfriend Lewis… I love you.”

In a statement to TheWrap, an ITV spokesperson said: “ITV has a long standing relationship with Caroline and we understand and accept her decision. We will remain in contact with her over the coming months about future series of ‘Love Island.'”

Flack is set to appear on bail at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court in London on Monday, Dec. 23.