Following an outpouring of support in the wake of its cancellation at Fox, “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” has begun eying a return elsewhere.
According to an individual familiar with the discussions, producers Universal Television have received interest from multiple other networks and streaming platforms about potentially picking up a sixth season of the show.
The talks come just hours after the show fell victim to Fox’s pre-upfronts house-cleaning along with “The Mick” and “Last Man on Earth.”
However, news of the cancellation was met with a swift uproar from fans who objected to the decision, including from Mark Hamill, Guillermo del Toro and Lin-Manuel Miranda — who encouraged his followers to tweet “#RenewB99” to save the show.
Among the potential new homes for “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” are Hulu — which famously saved “The Mindy Project” (also produced by Universal Television and 3Arts Entertainment) after it was canceled by Fox — and TBS, which currently holds syndication rights for the show and is run by former Fox boss, Kevin Reilly.
A spokesperson for Universal Television declined to comment.
11 TV Cast Upheavals, From Kevin Spacey in 'House of Cards' to Clayne Crawford in 'Lethal Weapon' (Photos)
- Ray Mickshaw/FOX
- Getty Images
- Jeff Spicer/Getty Images
These shows have had major cast shakeups in recent months
Actor Seann William Scott took over the role of Martin Riggs for the show's third season, which got the green light from Fox on May 13. A representative from Warner Bros. Television said the studio "decided not to renew Clayne Crawford’s contract for ‘Lethal Weapon'" after reports of bad behavior on set, described as "complaints of emotional abuse and creating a hostile environment."
Crawford apologized last month and wished the "Lethal Weapon" team luck on their third season without him. “To my cast and crew – CONGRATULATIONS on season 3!” Crawford wrote. “To the Fans – Thank you for the overwhelming support and love. Riggs was a dream role and the experience will live with me forever. My heart is full. Good Luck nxt season!!” he said on Instagram over the weekend.
"I take great pride in treating everyone in life with dignity and kindness," the 40-year-old actor said in April. "I am very grateful for my job, and I work extremely hard at it. I have a responsibility to do good work for my coworkers, my family, and my home state, and most especially for the fans. I hope they will stick with me and stick with the show."
Fox bosses said the decision to move ahead with a new season without Crawford was not their decision, but that of Warner Bros.
"Ultimately, our partners at Warner Bros. come to us about three weeks ago to tell us that they could not deliver ‘Lethal Weapon’ as we’ve known it before, that there were some real challenges in the cast. They thought long and hard about it. I know that was not their first choice,” said Dana Walden, Chairmen and CEO, Fox Television Group.
TV By Tony Maglio and Jennifer Maas | May 10, 2018 @ 4:46 PM
TV By Jennifer Maas | May 10, 2018 @ 3:10 PM
TV By Ashley Boucher | May 10, 2018 @ 2:45 PM