Condé Nast has sold Brides Magazine to digital media company Dotdash, the companies announced in a joint press release Wednesday.
In the release, Dotdash, which is owned by Barry Diller, said they would discontinue the print run of the 85-year-old magazine in favor of a renewed focus on digital. The final U.S. issue will be the August/September edition while the U.K’s will fold up a month later.
“The future focus will be building the most comprehensive, inspiring, inclusive and trusted wedding content -for all types of weddings -online and across platforms,” the statement said.
It did not disclose the final sale price and reps for both companies did not immediately respond to request for comment from TheWrap.
“We’re excited to build on the historical excellence and incredible reputation of the Brides brand,” Neil Vogel, CEO of Dotdash, said. “Adding Brides to our portfolio of brands gives us a powerful platform to take on the wedding space and extends our ability to reach young women at key moments in their lives.”
The sale from Condé is the latest in a gradual but persistent effort from the company to slim down on their more extraneous media properties as digital headwinds continue to buffet the industry. Earlier this week, the magazine sold Golf Digest to Discovery for another undisclosed amount (which the New York Post reported was $30 million). In the same vein, Condé’s parent company, Advance Publications, also unloaded the 182-year-old New Orleans Times-Picayune earlier this month.
The magazines that have not been sold have also faced cutbacks. Condé properties like Teen Vogue and Glamour have abandoned regular print editions in efforts to cut costs and the company is also moving to put all of its properties behind paywalls of one sort or another by the end of 2019.