Hillary Clinton has apologized for using a personal email account while Secretary of State, telling ABC News’ David Muir that doing so was a “mistake.”
“That was a mistake. I’m sorry about that. I take responsibility,” the presidential candidate Clinton told Muir in an interview Tuesday.
Clinton’s comments to Muir mark a dramatic turnaround from her statement to the Associated Press on Monday, when she said that she wouldn’t apologize because “what I did was allowed.”
During her interview with Muir, Clinton emphasized that she didn’t send or receive classified material on the account, adding that she’s “trying to be as transparent as I possibly can.”
While Secretary of State, former First Lady Clinton used a private email server to send and receive work-related emails, sparking security questions. She has since turned over more than 55,000 pages of emails to the State Department.
She also handed over her private server and thumb drive to the Justice Department last month amid a federal investigation.
The interview, which will air on ABC’s “World News Tonight” at 6:30 p.m. ET and “Nightline” at 12:30 a.m. ET, comes during a rocky time for Clinton’s campaign, with a recent poll showing that 53 percent of Americans now view the candidate unfavorably, an eight-point hike since mid-summer.