North Korea is not denying, or confirming, any involvement in the cyber attack that crippled Sony Picture Studios at the beginning of last week.
BBC News reports that when asked if the communist country was involved, a spokesman for the North Korean government replied, “Wait and see.”
North Korea has been very vocal in speaking out against Sony’s Christmas Day release “The Interview,” a comedy starring James Franco and Seth Rogen as a TV personality and producer respectively, tasked with assassinating dictator Kim Jong-Un.
In a letter written to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, North Korea’s U.N. Ambassador Ja Song Nam accused the United States of sponsoring terrorism and committing an act of war by allowing the production and distribution of the R-rated comedy from the producers of “Neighbors” and “This Is the End.”
A studio insider told TheWrap on Monday that Sony is exploring all avenues to discover the identities of individuals responsible for the attack, which has been attributed to a group called “Guardians of Peace,” or #GOP.
Another individual with knowledge of the situation said investigators are checking into whether North Korea, or someone operating on its behalf, launched the cyber attack in retribution for “The Interview.”
In its latest statement, Sony said “the company has restored a number of important services to ensure ongoing business continuity and is working closely with law enforcement officials to investigate the matter.”