(Spoiler warning: Do not read on if you have not yet watched Thursday night’s episode of ABC’s “How to Get Away With Murder,” entitled “He Has a Wife.”)
With just one week to go before next Thursday’s mid-season finale of ABC’s “How to Get Away With Murder,” fans were itching to figure out who killed Professor Keating’s (Viola Davis) husband, Sam (Tom Verica).
The central murder mystery, told in flash-forwards through much of the season, will be exposed in the mid-season finale — or at least the killer is supposed to be — which means this is the week for wild fan theories.
And boy, did fans of the Shonda Rhimes-produced thriller deliver. They got the hashtag #WhoKilledSam trending deep into the night on Thursday with wild theories, bouncing off one another. And it’s possible the truth is even among those theories.
It’s one of the fun and unique things about the serialized format of television. Unlike movies or books or almost any other form of entertainment, TV withholds answers from everyone at the same time, creating tantalizing weeks of delicious agony like this one.
Speculation is likely to continue right up until the reveal of Sam’s killer in next week’s mid-season finale. We’ve gathered some of the most fun and interesting theories below.
Series star Aja Naomi King, who portrays Michaela Pratt, even chimed in with a tease for next week’s big reveal.
– Kellie Nero (@kellie_nero) November 14, 2014
– Mick Nasty (@M1ckNasty) November 14, 2014
– maggie priceless (@MaggiePriceless) November 14, 2014
Bonnie knows Annalise. She lets Sam kiss her and ‘fess. Let herself get fired as alibi. Annalise kills Sam. Kids cover up. #WhoKilledSam
– Vivian! (@woahvivi28) November 14, 2014
– тяÏ…Ã'”GEMINI ☮ (@alyssantana_) November 14, 2014
#WhoKilledSam My vote is for is Bonnie who then leaves and sleeps with Asher for an alibi. She also stages a scene to implicate the students
– Laura ByrneCristiano (@LauraByrneCrist) November 14, 2014
The statue came alive, hit Sam in the face, and turned back into a statue. I’ve seen Mannequin. I know it can happen. #WhoKilledSam
– Superhero & 00Negro (@MarcusTheToken) November 14, 2014
– Megan Allen (@Meg_All11) November 14, 2014
– Bobble Head Lives (@BobblHeadLives) November 14, 2014
– Aja Naomi King (@ajanaomi_king) November 14, 2014
“How to Get Away With Murder” airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. ET on ABC.