Former Beatle Paul McCartney says he's been booked to close out the extravaganza leading up to the London Olympic Games
Paul McCartney will help get the London Olympic Games off to a rocking start.
The former Beatle confirmed speculation that he would take part in the opening ceremony, telling the BBC that he will close out the ceremony on July 27.
"I've been booked," McCartney said, adding that he would be "closing the opening."
McCartney is the first act to be confirmed for the opening ceremony. "Slumdog Millionaire" director Danny Boyle is serving as artistic director of the ceremony. Boyle recently revealed that he's using the classic monster story "Frankenstein" — which he produced as a stage production of last year — as inspiration for the ceremony.
"I mean, we don't reanimate dead creatures, but we did use Frankenstein as a dry run for a lot of ideas for this," Boyle said. According to Boyle, the venue where the ceremony — dubbed "The Isles of Wonder" — will look "like a cauldron, with all the people hovering over and around you."
The International Olympic Committee has not yet responded to TheWrap's request for comment.
McCartney performed a warmup gig of sorts for the Olympics earlier this week, closing out the Queen's Diamond Jubilee on Monday. Watch his performance for an indication of how he might fare at the Olympics' opening ceremony.
← Previous Story