Adult Swim unveiled its coming slate ahead of next week’s upfront event, including the ironically titled “TV Sucks” from Brad Neely. All told, the animated Turner channel is turning up its development to the tune of 30 new original series, specials and pilots for 2015-2016.
“Adult Swim has always been known as a place for taking risks and for great talent trying interesting things,” said Christina Miller, president and general manager, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang. “Mike (Lazzo) and his team continue to raise the bar, always knowing what the Adult Swim fan wants; and this new slate of original programming adds to our growing line-up of successful primetime comedies.”
“There is no better environment for an advertiser seeking to engage and connect with this sought-after millennial consumer,” said Donna Speciale, president of Turner Broadcasting Ad Sales. “Through premium top-rated multi-screen programming, custom-produced branded content, on-site media activations and digital engagement, there is limitless return potential for marketers aligning with us and this valuable brand.”
Below is the upcoming slate, in Adult Swim’s own words:
Original series and specials:
- TV SUCKS - TV SUCKS is a new quarter-hour animated sketch show created by Brad Neely (China, IL) that features a collection of frenetic one-off bits, shorts, and songs, all filtered through Neely’s signature visual style. Beware however, as this show hates you. Neely and Daniel Weidenfeld serve as executive producers, Dave Newberg as co-executive producer, with Titmouse, Inc. producing.
- UNTITLED GOLF SPECIAL – It’s 1966, and professional actors, Jon Daly and Adam Scott, go head to head in this televised golf championship. The competition is fierce, emotions are high, and both men are rarin’ to prove they’re the cream of the crop. Created by Jon Daly, who also serves as executive producer. Starring Daly (Kroll Show) and Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation), the half-hour live-action special is produced by Alive and Kicking, Inc.
- NEON JOE, WEREWOLF HUNTER – Set in the pretend sleepy enclave of Garrity, Vermont (aka “B&B Town, USA!”), Neon Joe, Werewolf Hunter is the story of a neon-clad man with a mysterious past and a highly specialized skill set – hunting werewolves. When a sudden plague of inexplicable werewolf fatalities strikes, the Garrity sheriff’s department finds itself in over its head and the fate of the townspeople is left up to Neon Joe. Will he catch the beast before the next full moon, or will it live another day and kill again? This half-hour live-action mini-series is created by Jon Glaser (Girls, Parks and Recreation) and produced by PFFR.
- TIM & ERIC’S BEDTIME STORIES – Tim and Eric are back with two new Tim & Eric’s Bedtime Stories half-hour live-action specials that will air later this year on Adult Swim. The specials will be created by Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim, produced by Abso Lutely.
- UNTITLED BRETT GELMAN DINNER SPECIAL – Brett Gelman returns to Adult Swim for the third installment of his “Dinner” series of half-hour specials. New guests. New insanity. New brain for you after you’ve experienced it. Created and written by Brett Gelman and Jason Woliner, with Gelman and Woliner serving as executive producers, and produced by Abso Lutely.
- ROBOT CHICKEN DC COMICS SPECIAL III: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC (working title) – The Robot Chicken DC Comics Special III: Friendship Is Magicsurrenders the DC Comics multitude of heroes and villains to the demented whims of the Emmy Award®-winning Robot Chicken for a triumphant third time. This time around, Batman and Superman’s bromance takes a competitive turn and the fate of the universe somehow hangs in the balance! The all-star cast includes Seth Green, Matt Senreich, Breckin Meyer, Alfred Molina, Nathan Fillion, Weird Al Yankovic, Alex Borstein, Giovanni Ribisi, Jonathan Banks, Mae Whitman, Hugh Davidson, Dee Bradley Baker, Zeb Wells, Kevin Shinick plus Adam West and Burt Ward. The special is executive produced by Robot Chicken creators Seth Green and Matthew Senreich and their Stoopid Buddy Stoodios partners, John Harvatine IV and Eric Towner, along with DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns, and President, Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Digital Series Sam Register. The special is directed by Tom Sheppard (Annoying Orange) and Zeb Wells. Head writers/co-executive producers Douglas Goldstein and Tom Root and co-executive producer Kevin Shinick are joined as writers by veteran Robot Chicken writer Mike Fasolo, as well as Hugh Davidson (Mike Tyson Mysteries), Green, J. T. Krul, Breckin Meyer, Senreich and Sheppard.
- BAD GUYS – Design. Marketing. Looking fresh to death. These are things that are lost on modern-day terrorists, but one man is going to change the game forever. Bad Guys is a quarter-hour animated series about a bombastic, megalomaniac terrorist and his upstart terrorist organization; and their quest for global domination. World Governments and Fashionistas your days are numbered. Created by Paul Scheer (Fresh Off the Boat, The League) and Nick Giovannetti, produced by Bento Box.
- UNTITLED MILLION DOLLAR EXTREME PROJECT – A live-action quarter-hour sketch show in an almostpresentday postapocalyptic nightmare world. Created by Million Dollar Extreme.
- NEIGHBOR’S HOUSE – Mr. Neighbor’s House is a children’s show hosted by Brian Huskey (Childrens Hospital, Veep). He’s like any other host of kids programming, except that he is barely able to contain the suppressed rage boiling underneath his quiet demeanor. From the safe confines of his home, he throws to various “educational” vignettes: puppets, animation, stop motion, spoken word and mixed medium elements that all blend together into one 15 minute show… that is NOT for kids. Created by Huskey, Jason Mantzoukas (Childrens Hospital, The League), and Jesse Falcon, who also serve as executive producers with Rob Corddry (Childrens Hospital, Hot Tub Time Machine).
- BALLMASTRZ 9669 – Thousands of years in the future no one cares about traditional sports anymore. The only game that matters is THE GAME, and the new breed of heroes that play it: BALLMASTRZ. Inside giant battle arenas the size of a small city, teams of Ballmastrz face off against each other using their own hyper-creative artificially intelligent combat weapons to attack, defend, and score. These are the BALLS. Obstacles and challenges test the physical, mental, and psychological limits of the players while entertaining the masses. The player or team that masters their Ball will master The Game in the most spectacular action sport ever played. This quarter-hour animated series is created by Christy Karacas (Superjail!) and produced by Titmouse.
- APOLLO GAUNTLET – Trapped in another world, a cop from Earth can finally fight crime the way he wants after acquiring talking magical gauntlets. Animated quarter-hour pilot created by Myles Langlois and produced by Six Point Harness.
- BUBBLEGOOSE AND JUICE – Two best friends, a neurotic “Bubblegoose” and slacker “Juice” sharing a tiny no bedroom apartment as they try to maneuver through an unpredictable, supernatural, bizarro world, while still keeping up with the latest kicks. This quarter-hour animated pilot is created by Carl Jones (Black Dynamite).
- HOT STREETS – FBI Agent Mark Branski and his partner David French investigate supernatural phenomena, secretly aided by his niece and her cowardly dog, Chubbie Webbers. There will be alien invasions, government conspiracies, monster infestations, and more. This quarter-hour animated pilot is created by Brian Wysol, with Seth Green, Matt Senreich, John Harvatine IV, and Eric Towner (Robot Chicken), Justin Roiland (Rick and Morty) and Wysol serving as executive producers. Produced by Stoopid Buddy Stoodios.
- CREATACEOUS CALIGULA – Los Angeles has been crushed by a title wave of radiated water. From the depths of the La Brea tar pits comes out a gang of dinosaur freaks led by a T-Rex Caligula. They want to take over mutant Gross Angeles and destroy anything in their way. This quarter-hour animated pilot is created by JJ Villard (King Star King) and produced by Titmouse.
- DOBLE FRIED – Doble Fried is a 6-pack of carnival freaks who run a low-rent amusement park smack drab on the border of Mexico and Not-Mexico. Whether it’s 4:20, beer-thirty, or crazy clown time, these dudes are constantly trying to scam money and score lady lizard honey. It’s a rickety roller coaster ride from the deep fried, clogged heartland of our failure. This quarter-hour animated pilot is created by Matt Furie and produced by PFFR.
- FISTHEAD – The relationship between two brothers is put to the test, as one, a loose-cannon action hero with a fist for a head, indiscriminately destroys not only villains, but his normal brother’s life as well. This quarter-hour animated series is created by Sean Glaze and Chris Prynoski, and produced by Titmouse.
- OMG! EARTH – OMG! Earth is a quarter-hour stop-motion animated comedy series featuring small plastic action figures going on larger-than-life adventures in the real world. The show takes place against a backdrop of all the classic adventure environments, including the old west, the deep blue sea, and even the final frontier! The pilot is created by John Harvatine IV and Eric Towner, Ashley Arechiga, and Bradley Schaffer, with Harvatine and Towner as executive producers with Seth Green and Matt Senreich (Robot Chicken), Arechiga, and Schaffer as co-executive producers. Produced by Stoopid Buddy Stoodios.
- THE POUND HOLE – The Pound Hole is Adult Swim’s first ever late night dance party; a contemporary Soul Train. Think The Grind meets Project X, where DJ Douggpound (played by Doug Lussenhop) remixes both the audio and visuals of this club into surreal, and sometimes violent, but always danceable situations. The Pound Hole is a live-action quarter-hour pilot created by Daniel Weidenfeld (China, IL), developed by Weidenfeld and Lussenhop (Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Portlandia), and directed by The Daniels, the VMA award-winning directing duo of DJ Snake and Lil Jon’s Turn Town For What video.
Returning original series:
AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE FOREVER
CHECK IT OUT! WITH DR. STEVE BRULE
THE ERIC ANDRE SHOW
THE JACK AND TRIUMPH SHOW
MIKE TYSON MYSTERIES
RICK AND MORTY
THE VENTURE BROS.
YOUR PRETTY FACE IS GOING TO HELL
KILL LA KILL
SWORD ART ONLINE II
ATTACK ON TITAN
INUYASHA: THE FINAL ACT
KING OF THE HILL