We've Got Hollywood Covered

Amateur MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Kentucky

Donshay White collapsed in the locker room after the fight was stopped in the second minute of the second round

Amateur MMA fighter Donshay White died Saturday, after competing in a fight in Kentucky, at the age of 37.

According to multiple media reports, White was competing in a heavyweight match against Ricky Muse in an event put on by Hardrock MMA promotions. The company has not yet responded to TheWrap’s request for comment.

After some punches from Muse, the fight was stopped just two minutes into the second round. According to BluegrassMMA, White was responsive to referee Gary Copeland after he failed to protect himself against Muse’s punches. He seemed exhausted and immediately received medical attention, but upon entering the locker room, he collapsed and became unresponsive. He then received CPR backstage and was transported to a nearby hospital. The cause of death is currently unknown, but Hardrock media director Gary Thomas said it is believed to be a “cardiac event,” according to the Courier Journal.

“Mr. White was attended to by a licensed ringside physician and first responders immediately following his bout, and he received on-site medical attention before being transported via ambulance to the hospital,” a statement from the Kentucky Boxing and Wrestling Commission said, according to the Journal. “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Donshay White following his passing on Saturday.”

The Commission is also reviewing all of the details surrounding the incident. The rest of the event was canceled.

White was a new fighter in the MMA community, having only one fight on his record, which he won by knockout in 2015.

On Facebook, Hardrock MMA posted the following statement: “Hardrock MMA joins the entire MMA community in mourning Donshay White. As a promotion who has put together 89 events over the last 8 years without incident, we always have and we will continue to put our fighters safety above all else. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones.”