As the events in Nice, France continue to unfold, here is what we know so far:
- A truck plowed into a crowd watching Bastille Day fireworks at the Promenade des Anglais, a popular area near the Mediterranean Sea.
- Though the total number of mortalities has not yet been confirmed, French media have reported up to 80 dead and 100 injured.
- The truck zig-zagged down the promenade for more than a mile.
- The driver is dead, according to France’s interior minister, but it remains unclear whether or not he was working alone.
- The truck was loaded with guns and grenades, region president Christian Estrosi told AP.
- Witnesses claim that the driver exchanged gunfire with law enforcement. Though these reports are unconfirmed, an image of the truck tweeted out by French newspaper Nice-Matin shows several bullet holes.
— Nice-Matin (@Nice_Matin) July 14, 2016
- Anti-terror authorities have taken over the investigation, according to the AP.
- Over by the Eiffel Tour, a contemporaneous fire is being called an unrelated “accident,” according to local authorities.
- Residents in Nice have opened up their homes to victims and have been using the
#PortesOuvertesNice on social media to raise awareness.