Elaine Stitch, who passed away Thursday morning at age 89 after a long and storied acting career — but she was perhaps best known for her sense of humor and unquenchable zest for life.
See photos: Hollywood’s Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
And Hollywood is reacting to the Broadway legend’s passing with ribald humor of their own:
Here’s to the lady who lunched: Elaine Stritch, we love you. May your heaven be a booze-soaked, no-pants solo show at the Carlyle. Thank you
I was lucky enough to see Elaine Stritch’s one woman show and meet her. One of a kind and just the wittiest. So sad to hear of her passing.
- josh groban (@joshgroban) July 17, 2014
RIP Elaine Stritch #EverybodyRise
- Laura Benanti (@LauraBenanti) July 17, 2014
- Adam Baldwin (@AdamBaldwin) July 17, 2014
Elaine Stritch man. Hell of a performer, spirit and woman. This one really hurts. Today’s work is for you ma’am. Crazy love.
- James Van Der Beek (@vanderjames) July 17, 2014
I suspect Elaine Stritch won’t know how to rest-in-peace! Iconic entertainer, force of nature, my wonderful movie-mom http://t.co/6HzjbsRwyO
- mia farrow (@MiaFarrow) July 17, 2014
RIP the great Elaine Stritch. Seeing her onstage was so special and memorable.
- Andy Cohen (@Andy) July 17, 2014
- The Tony Awards (@TheTonyAwards) July 17, 2014
What a life! 89 full years. A true legend & one of my all time favorites. R.I.P. #ElaineStritch
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (@jessetyler) July 17, 2014
“All you have to do is say, ‘I’m going home,’ and you’re the most popular girl at the party.” RIP Elaine Stritch
- Nina Garcia (@ninagarcia) July 17, 2014
RIP ELAINE STRITCH! I love u! We’ll miss u terribly-no 1 alive is as gr8 an actor/entertainer as U! All Hail a vagenius has left this realm!
- Roseanne Barr (@therealroseanne) July 17, 2014
Elaine Stritch turning to the camera and deadpanning “Shootin’ up at the Savoy…” is maybe the funniest thing I’ve ever seen
- Richard Lawson (@rilaws) July 17, 2014
- Kate Flannery (@KateFlannery) July 17, 2014
“Good times and bum times, I’ve seen them all and my dear, I’m still here.” Nothing but love for Elaine Stritch.