‘India’s Got Talent’ Hopeful Lights Himself on Fire While Filming Stunt

Would-be contestant dies from third-degree burns over 60 percent of his body

Last Updated: April 11, 2016 @ 1:20 PM

An Indian teenager died on Monday while preparing his entry for “India’s Got Talent.”

Mohammed Jalaluddin, 19, was performing a fire stunt while his friends recorded him on their phones so that he could send it to the show’s producers.

But something went wrong and Jalaluddin sustained third degree burns across 60 percent of his body after he was unable to remove a t-shirt he had soaked in kerosene and set on fire, per the Times of India. 

Indian authorities say that Jalaluddin first held kerosene in his mouth and used it to breathe fire, then went up a nearby hill to attempt the t-shirt stunt.

Authorities also said that Jalaluddin absolved any of his friends of any blame in the incident, insisting it was all his idea in an attempt to get on the show.

“India’s Got Talent” is the Indian version of the popular “Britain’s Got Talent” format that has been successfully franchised around the world, including in the U.S.

Comedian and actress Bharti Singh, actor and model Nakuul Mehta and actor Siddharth Shukla are set to host the new season of the show, which will kick off on April 30.