Guild’s board unianimously approved the contracts in April
By an overwhelming majority, members of SAG-AFTRA have voted to approve new commercials contracts that the guild’s board has called a “landmark deal.” The new contracts were approved with 96.85% voting yes, according to SAG-AFTRA.
The new contracts will be effective retroactive to April 1 and will remain in force through March 31, 2022.
“This is an historic moment for our members, our union and this industry,” SAG-AFTRA President and Negotiating Committee Chair Gabrielle Carteris said in a statement. “Committed members from around the country created new contract options for an evolving commercial landscape. Our strength is always in our unity.”
Under the new contracts, SAG-AFTRA members working in commercials will see increases in wages and benefit plans, coverage of stunt coordinators, gains to group dancers and a streamlined renegotiation process for commercial agents representing SAG-AFTRA members.
In April, the board cited “innovative and flexible alternative compensation models” and the inclusion of protections against workplace sexual harassment when it approved the contracts unanimously.
Highlights of the contracts include:
- New Upfront Use Packages provide performers with substantial upfront payments, creating simple and flexible structures for employers that positions SAG-AFTRA to cover more work opportunities under the contract.
- Across-the-board wage increases of 6% (applicable to all categories of work, including background).
- Increased funding to the health and retirement/pension plans estimated at $22.2 million.
- Protections against sexual harassment.
- Coverage of stunt coordinators.
- Outsized gains to group dancers.
- Streamlined and radically improved renegotiation process for commercial agents representing SAG-AFTRA members.