“Detective Pikachu” has grossed $287.4 million worldwide on a production budget of $150 million
Despite the conductivity of iron — and vibranium, probably — “Pokémon: Detective Pikachu” didn’t quite have the juice to topple “Avengers: Endgame” from its box office perch in the Marvel blockbuster’s third weekend.
But the Legendary Entertainment and Warner Bros. release, which stars Justice Smith (“Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom”) and Ryan Reynolds as the voice of the yellow pocket monster Pikachu, has performed strongly enough to suggest the studio may have a new franchise on its hands — a sequel is already in development.
The film has grossed $94 million domestically through two weekends, with a slightly steeper than usual 54% week-to-week drop off from its $58.0 million...
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers