The video platform continues to be a hit or miss for publishers looking to drive revenue
Nearly two years and a billion dollars after the launch of Facebook Watch, video publishers say the platform is still struggling to shift the viewing habits of its online community, while ad revenue continues to be a hit or miss.
In interviews with seven publishers with experience on Facebook Watch, only one reported having substantial success on the platform. Most said the modest ad revenue produced hasn’t justified further investment in the platform — despite videos racking up millions of views. Four out of the seven producers, who all at one time produced Facebook-funded shows, say they are no longer investing in exclusive content for the platform.
The company spent an estimated $1 billion in 2018 to fund a diverse slate of s...
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers