Blend, a messaging app, has blocked all content from Breitbart News from being shared on its platform, the company announced on Wednesday.
The company’s engineering team has developed technology that will prohibit content from Breitbart to be shared among Blend’s Genies community, which includes more than one million users.
“With all current events going on and conversations around real and fake media, we’re going to be examining sources of content that our Genies are sharing. We’ve decided as a team to eliminate Breitbart starting today,” Blend CEO Akash Nigam said.
Blend’s Genies product is a bot-like media option that customizes content geared for specific users — unless the user is a fan of Breitbart, that is.
Breitbart is widely considered to be a platform for views held by the alt-right. Former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon returned to his position as head of the news organization after he left the Trump Administration earlier this month.
Bannon said last week he’d return to Breitbart News and will go to “war for Trump against his opponents.”
However, Blend users will not be able to see the content that Bannon’s staff creates.
Six-time NBA All-Star Russell Westbrook recently invested in Blend, which has roughly 30 employees and targets younger users. The San Francisco-based company has other high-profile investors, including CAA Ventures, Foundation Capital, Joe Montana’s Liquid2VC, Trinity Ventures, Lerer Ventures, David Tosco’s BoxGroup, Management 360 and former Legendary CEO Thomas Tull.
“As a team, we’re focused on creating news content that is easy to share and consume for generations Y & Z,” Nigam said.
Breitbart declined comment when reached by TheWrap.