The backlash against Donald Trump continued on Monday night as Mexico pulled out of the Miss Universe pageant all together.
Mexico will not send a contestant to this year’s Miss Universe after part owner and TV mogul Trump made comments insulting their people, Mexican broadcaster Televisa reported, according to Reuters.
“For Televisa, any commercial relationship with the Miss Universe pageant and with the companies of the Trump organization is unacceptable,” Televisa said in a statement.
The announcement came four days after Spanish-language Univision, part-owned by Televisa, said it would not air the Miss USA pageant on July 12 and severed ties to the Miss Universe Organization.
Earlier on Monday, NBC ended its business relationship with Trump, citing “derogatory” statements made by the former “Apprentice” star.
A statement, obtained by TheWrap, specified that the annual Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants — a joint venture between NBC and Trump — will no longer run on the broadcaster’s airwaves. Additionally, Trump will not be participating in the network’s reality competition, “The Celebrity Apprentice.”
However, “Celebrity Apprentice” is licensed from Mark Burnett‘s United Artists Media Group, a relationship that will continue without Trump, per NBC.
The current firestorm was sparked by comments made during Trump’s presidential campaign announcement last week, which included controversial observations about Mexicans, whom he said are “laughing at us, at our stupidity” over what he characterized as a weak border policy.
“When Mexico sends its people … they’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people,” the newly minted candidate said.
Trump’s comments already prompted Univision, the network that broadcasts his Miss Universe pageant, to end its business relationship with the contest, as well as “any other projects tied to the Trump Organization” on Thursday.