Orlando shooter Omar Mateen may have targeted Disney World as a potential site of attack, according to media reports.
People cites a federal law enforcement source who says the deceased shooter and his wife Noor Zahi Salman visited Orlando’s Walt Disney World in April.
Salman told law enforcement on Sunday, hours after the attack at Pulse, that Mateen had recently scouted both the nightclub and Downtown Disney as potential attack targets.
Downtown Disney does not have a security checkpoint for entry as do the ticketed theme parks.
Forty-nine people were killed and 53 injured early Sunday morning in the mass shooting. Mateen opened fire on the crowded nightclub with an assault rifle, sending patrons fleeing. He was killed after engaging with S.W.A.T.
Mateen had been investigated twice before by the FBI, but still managed to legally purchase the AR-15-style assault rifle he used in the massacre, along with a slew of other weapons, as recently as early June, according to People.
Forty-eight of the 49 victims at Pulse have been identified, and 53 more remain in the hospital with injuries.
Representatives from Disney did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.