A Minnesota prosecutor announced Thursday that no charges will be filed in the 2016 drug overdose death of music superstar Prince.
Carver County Attorney Mark Metz has been reviewing the findings of the local sheriff’s office into the death of the 57-year-old star, whose full name is Prince Rogers Nelson.
A toxicology report from Prince’s autopsy showed last month that the singer had “exceedingly high” concentrations of the opioid painkiller fentanyl in his body. The official cause of death was ruled to be a self-administered overdose.
However, during a press conference Thursday, Metz said that there is “no reliable evidence” of how Prince obtained the counterfeit Vicodin laced with fentanyl.
“The bottom line is that we simply do not have sufficient evidence” to charge anyone with a crime, Metz said.
Legal documents unsealed last year revealed that the musician had medication prescribed to him under the name of his bodyguard, Kirk Johnson.
An affidavit from Det. Christine Wagner noted that Dr. Michael Schulenberg, who was present at Paisley Park when detectives arrived on the day of Prince’s death, “admitted in a statement to Detective Chris Nelson that he had prescribed Prince a prescription for oxycodone the same day as the emergency plane landing but put the prescription in Kirk Johnson’s name for Prince’s privacy.”
During Thursday’s press conference, Metz said that Schulenberg had reached a civil settlement with federal authorities for providing the prescription. According to U.S. attorney Gregory G. Brooker, Schulenberg agreed to pay $30,000 stemming from allegations that he violated the Controlled Substances Act.
While Metz said that there is “no doubt” that the actions of those around Prince would be eyed suspiciously, “suspicions and innuendo are categorically insufficient” to file charges.
“Purple Rain” singer Prince died at age 57 in April 2016 at his Minnesota residence. The medical examiner determined that the singer died from an accidental overdose of the opioid fentanyl.