Prince Overdosed on Percocet One Week Before Death (Report)

Singer was found dead at his home in Minnesota on Thursday

Last Updated: April 22, 2016 @ 8:40 AM

Prince reportedly overdosed on the painkiller Percocet less than a week before his death on Thursday.

The singer was hospitalized briefly in Moline, Illinois, while on his way back from an Atlanta concert last Friday after ingesting the drug, per TMZ. He was prescribed Percocet following a hip surgery in 2010.

He was rushed to a hospital and given a “save shot” by doctors. According to the site, the treatment is frequently used to mitigate the effects of opiates.

The singer’s team reportedly asked for a private room, but when the request was denied, Prince left the hospital after three hours, rather than the recommended 24. The singer’s team originally reported that he had been suffering from flu-like symptoms, which worsened during the flight.

A representative for UnityPoint Moline, where the singer was reportedly admitted, said they did not register any patients under the name Prince or Prince Rogers Nelson.

Prince was found dead by law enforcement officials at his Paisley Park compound in Minnesota on Thursday morning. He was found unconscious in an elevator and was not breathing.

The Midwest Medical Examiner’s office said Thursday that it had received the musician’s body and will perform an autopsy today.

Following news of the singer’s death, a flood of tributes emerged on social media, with Katy Perry, Dwayne Johnson, Samuel L. Jackson, Spike Lee and many others sharing their grief.