Fox News host Sean Hannity responded to a Friday morning attack from “Morning Joe” co-host Joe Scarborough, mocking the MSNBC rival’s ratings and relationship with his co-anchor and fiancee Mika Brzezinski.
“LOL, Joe and Mika are so cute together. Do they hold hands under the desk?” Hannity told Mediaite via email. “That would be the only reason to watch the low rated daily emotional breakdowns they have.”
Earlier on Friday, Scarborough bashed the Fox News host for continuing to trumpet conspiracy theories about former Democratic National Committee employee Seth Rich, who was murdered in Washington, D.C., last summer and has been the centerpiece of unsubstantiated reports tying him to WikiLeaks — which Rich’s family has repeatedly repudiated.
“Now we are reduced to fake news and Sean Hannity ripping the hearts out of parents for their son, their young, gifted son who was shot in the back and trying to twist that into something that somehow helps Donald Trump. It’s gross and it’s repulsive,” Scarborough said.
On his Fox News show Tueday, Hannity said that he will no longer discuss the July 2016 murder of DNC staffer Seth Rich — for now, anyway — though he continued to discuss the matter on his radio show and on other outlets.
“Out of respect for the family’s wishes, I am not discussing this matter at this time,” Hannity said on air.
Hannity’s announcement came after he received considerable criticism for promoting a conspiracy theory alleging that Rich provided internal DNC emails to Wikileaks, and that Rich may have been killed for doing so. Rich was shot to death last July in Washington, D.C., in what police have investigated as a robbery gone wrong.
The Rich family has blasted media for promoting the unfounded theory, saying to Business Insider on May 16 “it’s sad but unsurprising that a group of media outlets who have repeatedly lied to the American people would try and manipulate the legacy of a murder victim in order to forward their own political agenda… I think there is a special place in hell for people like that.”
Fox News retracted its earlier reporting on the story. “On May 16, a story was posted on the Fox News website on the investigation into the 2016 murder of DNC Staffer Seth Rich. The article was not initially subjected to the high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for all our reporting,” the network said in a statement released on Tuesday. “Upon appropriate review, the article was found not to meet those standards and has since been removed. We will continue to investigate this story and will provide updates as warranted.”