Now that Netflix has officially ordered nine more episodes of “Stranger Things,” the hunt for details begins.
Fortunately for fans craving new nuggets of information, creators Matt and Ross Duffer spoke to Entertainment Weekly about the new season Netflix is calling “Stranger Things 2.”
Here’s everything we learned. But if you haven’t finished Season 1 yet, be warned, spoilers below.
1. Most of our favorites will be back. The Duffers are planning on bringing back Will (Noah Schnapp), Mike (Finn Wolhard), Dustin (Gaten Matazarro) Joyce (Winona Ryder), Sheriff Hopper (David Harbour), and most of the rest of the gang. There’s one big exception: Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown) might not be around. “We don’t know about Eleven,” Ross Duffer said. They’ll be stretching that mystery out over the season.
2. They’ll be joined by four new characters. “There’s going to be a lot of new and interesting dynamics that we didn’t see in Season 1,” Matt Duffer said.
3. The action takes place in 1984. The main story of Season 2 starts a year after the events of Season 1. The time jump is necessary both because of the growing-like-weeds kid actors and because it just makes the story more interesting. The Duffers thought about moving the action further into the future, like a decade on, but were called back by what they felt was an embarrassment of storytelling riches.
4. We’ll see the Upside Down again. Though that doesn’t necessarily mean that’s where Eleven is. The portal is still very much open, and the possibility of other monsters — or worse — is very, very real. “It’s exciting to talk about, like, what else is behind there?” Ross Duffer said.
5. Sequels will be a big influence. The Duffers don’t subscribe to your theories that “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” is the worst of the original Indy trilogy. They’ll be drawing on sequels like “Terminator 2,” “Aliens” and, yes, “Temple of Doom” for inspiration.