Tom Cruise Confirms ‘Top Gun 2': ‘It Is Definitely Happening’

“I’m gonna start filming it probably in the next year,” actor says

Last Updated: May 23, 2017 @ 6:59 PM

Appearing on the Australian morning chat show “Sunrise” to promote his upcoming movie “The Mummy,” Tom Cruise confirmed that a sequel to the 1986 Tony Scott-directed blockbuster “Top Gun” is “definitely happening.” Furthermore, Paramount will release the film and the project is in active development, one insider on the lot told TheWrap.

Cruise said on his “Sunrise” appearance on Tuesday that this was the first time anyone had confirmed “Top Gun 2” is in development. Cruise also confirmed that production will begin soon. “I’m gonna start filming it probably in the next year,” he told “Sunrise.”

Watch the “Sunrise” exchange below.

There have been several attempts to bring  a “Top Gun” sequel to life, but interest from key players appeared to increase in recent years. Speculation that the project was on — at last — picked up late last year after Val Kilmer, who played Cruise’s rival Iceman in the original film, said on Facebook that he’d been offered a role in a sequel. And in January, producer Jerry Bruckheimer tweeted a picture of himself with Cruise, saying  “just got back from a weekend in New Orleans to see my old friend and discuss a little Top Gun 2.”

Keep
Reading...

Looks like you’re enjoying reading
Keep reading by creating
a free account or logging in.