Trump Walk of Fame Star Vandal Pleads No Contest to Pickaxe Attack

Austin Mikel Clay sentenced to three years of probation over July incident

A man accused of vandalizing Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame with a pickaxe has pleaded no contest to the incident, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office said Wednesday.

Austin Mikel Clay, of Glendale, California, pleaded no contest to one felony count of vandalism causing more than $400 in damage.

In exchange for his plea, Clay, 24, was sentenced to three years of formal probation, one day in county jail and 20 days of community labor.

Clay was also ordered to attend psychological counseling and pay restitution of $9,404.46 to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce under the negotiated plea agreement.

According to the district attorney’s office, on July 25, Clay used a pickaxe to smash the star located on Hollywood Boulevard. He left the scene but turned himself in to police the following day.

This isn’t the first time that Trump’s star on the Walk of Fame star has been vandalized. Last year, James Lambert Otis was sentenced to three years of formal probation after being accused of taking a pickaxe and sledgehammer to the star on Oct. 26, 2016. The district attorney’s office also said that Otis removed a brass medallion from the middle of the star, along with smashing it.

In that case, Lambert, 53, pleaded guilty of one count of felony vandalism.