Warner Bros. is moving the release date for “Wonder Woman 2” from Dec. 13, 2019 to Nov. 1, 2019, the studio announced on Monday. The move fills a placeholder slot for an untitled DC film that WB had set for that date.
With this move, “Wonder Woman 2” moves out of a slot where it would hit theaters a week prior to “Star Wars: Episode IX” and into what is shaping up to be a very busy November slate. Though the Patty Jenkins/Gal Gadot sequel is currently unopposed in its new date, it will be followed in later weekends by the next James Bond movie, a yet-to-be-announced Fox/Marvel film, and the long-awaited sequel to Disney’s “Frozen.”
Over the weekend, Page Six reported that Gadot refused to take part in the sequel unless producer and accused sexual harasser Brett Ratner was completely removed from production. However, after news of Ratner’s accusations broke, sources told TheWrap that Ratner’s personal partnership with Warner Bros. is virtually over, as he no longer has an office on the studio lot. In addition, Ratner’s Ratpac Entertainment, whose co-financing deal with WB expires this coming April, was only a financier on the first film, which did not list Ratner as a producer.
The first “Wonder Woman,” which came out this past June, was the highest grossing film of the summer with $412.5 million domestic and $821.7 million worldwide. Gadot will return in “Justice League,” which hits theaters this Friday.
8 Villains 'Wonder Woman' Could Face in The Sequel (Photos)
With the success of "Wonder Woman," Warner Bros. wants to get you a sequel as soon as possible -- and every great story needs a villain. Here's who Diana might face in "Wonder Woman 2."
1. Medusa In one of the most popular storylines from the "Wonder Woman" comics, Diana faced off against the Gorgon Medusa in a battle to the death inside Yankee Stadium. Of course it was broadcast worldwide.
2. Cheetah British archaeologist Barbra Minerva, aka Cheetah, is another of Wonder Woman's most popular foes in the comics. Her comic look probably won't work for a sequel, so a cinematic upgrade would be needed.
3. Deimos Deimos is the God of Terror and also the son of Ares, the God of War from the first film. Deimos could look to avenge Ares in the sequel.
4. Circe The evil sorceress was almost the villain in the first film, but didn't make the final cut. In the comics, she has teamed up with DC bad guys like Lex Luthor.
5. Giganta One of Wonder Woman's more classic foes is a brilliant scientist, Dr. Doris Zeul, who managed to hijack the body of a circus performer with the power to increase her size.
6. Genocide Wonder Woman's version of Superman-killer Doomsday, Genocide defeated Wonder Woman in their first ever battle -- and even stole the lasso of truth.
7. Maxwell Lord Both cunning and ruthless, Max Lord is Wonder Woman's version of Lex Luthor. Lord was so villainous, Wonder Woman snapped his neck in the comics.
8. Doctor Psycho The misogynistic Doctor Psycho seeks to dominate women with his mind- control powers. He once targeted Steve Trevor in order to mess with Wonder Woman's emotions.