The wrestling world has taken to social media to mourn the passing of Chyna, real name Joanie Laurer, who was found dead at her home in Redondo Beach, California, on Wednesday.
WWE Hall of Famers including Mick Foley, Jim Ross, and Michael “P.S.” Hayes joined current superstars like Stephanie McMahon, Triple H, Sasha Banks and Charlotte in praising Chyna’s work in the ring and her place as a trailblazer in wrestling history.
To this day, Chyna is the only woman to have held the WWE Intercontinental Championship.
Read some reactions below.
Someone who wasn’t afraid to blaze her own trail & create a path for those who would follow. A pioneer whose star shined bright. #RIPChyna
Condolences to the family & friends of @ChynaJoanLaurer. Hopefully her troubled soul has found peace.
– Jim Ross (@JRsBBQ) April 21, 2016
Joanie, I’m so sorry. I will always treasure our friendship and will never forget your kindness to my children. RIP https://t.co/pVV0KjbkFt
– Mick Foley (@RealMickFoley) April 21, 2016
Just woke here in Europe to the saddening news about “Chyna” She was one of a kind and will b remembered 4 ever.
– Michael PS Hayes (@MichaelPSHayes1) April 21, 2016
My prayers go out to Joanie Laurer and her family. It’s very sad to hear this news. Chyna was revolutionary for women in wrestling.
– Nattie (@NatbyNature) April 21, 2016
– $asha Banks (@SashaBanksWWE) April 21, 2016
– Amy Dumas (@AmyDumas) April 21, 2016
– nodaysoff D-Young (@DarrenYoungWWE) April 21, 2016
Chyna was fearless to no man & a huge part of #womenswrestling her impact will never be forgotten. thoughts & prayers are with her family
– Charlotte (@MsCharlotteWWE) April 21, 2016
– Bayley (@itsBayleyWWE) April 21, 2016