YouTube CEO Says Logan Paul Isn’t Banned Over ‘Tasteless’ Video

Vlogger has two strikes left, says Susan Wojcicki

Last Updated: February 14, 2018 @ 12:00 PM

Don’t expect YouTube to get rid of Logan Paul anytime soon.

YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki said on Monday the vlogging star wasn’t in danger of being exiled from the streaming site since he hasn’t hit its three-strike policy.

“He hasn’t done anything that would cause those three strikes,” said Wojcicki at the Code Media conference in Huntington Beach, Calif. “We can’t just be pulling people off our platform … They need to violate a policy. We need to have consistent [rules]. This is like a code of law.”

So far, Paul has one notorious strike against him. He posted a video with a dead body hanging from a tree in Japan’s “suicide forest” on Dec. 31. The 22-year-old was widely criticized for the video, and removed it the next day, but not after it had racked up millions of views and damaged his reputation. Paul held off on posting clips for a few weeks before returning with a suicide prevention video.

“As a society, as human beings, we just have to be more compassionate,” said Paul in the video. “And that includes me, too. That’s something I’m learning along this journey.”

Last week, Paul found himself in YouTube’s crosshairs again. The Google-owned company temporarily suspended ads on his page, noting Paul encouraged his 16 million subscribers to do the Tide Pod challenge and tasered a rat in a recent clip.

But crass videos aren’t enough for YouTube to skip its guidelines and ban Paul, or any creator, said Wojcicki.

“What you think is tasteless is not necessarily what someone else would think is tasteless,” said Wojcicki. “We need to have consistent laws, so that in our policies, so we can apply it consistently to millions of videos, millions of creators.”

You can watch the full interview below.