Judge issues tentative ruling ordering comedian to answer additional questions in case filed by Judy Huth
Scandal-battered comedian Bill Cosby should be compelled to sit for a second deposition in the lawsuit brought against him by accuser Judy Huth, a judge in Los Angeles said Tuesday in a tentative ruling.
During a hearing in Los Angeles County Superior Court, Judge Craig Karlan issued a tentative ruling to order Cosby to sit for another deposition, at his cost, so that he can be asked additional questions.
Karlan also said that Cosby will be allowed to issue objections during the second deposition. Cosby will have to sit for half a day, which must take place by Feb. 29.
Huth filed a motion to compel a second deposition in the case, contending that Cosby refused to answer certain questions in his first deposition in the case last October.
Huth claimed that Cosby brought her to the Playboy Mansion in 1974, instructing her to say that she was 19 if anyone asked. She claims she was actually 15 at the time.
“While at the Playboy Mansion, plaintiff told Cosby that she needed to use the bathroom,” Huth’s lawsuit reads. “Cosby directed her to a bathroom within a bedroom suite near the game room. When plaintiff emerged from the bathroom, she found Cosby sitting on the bed. He asked her to sit beside him. He then proceeded to sexually molest her by attempting to put his hand down her pants, and then taking her hand in his hand and performing a sex act on himself without her consent.”
The Los Angeles County District Attorney has declined to pursue prosecution against Cosby over the alleged incident, saying that it fell outside the statute of limitations.
During a press conference following the hearing, Huth’s attorney Gloria Allred called Karlan’s order a “complete vindication.”
“We are very happy that the judge has ordered Mr. Cosby to appear for a second deposition in this case,” Allred said. “We view that as complete vindication of our position this morning.”
The attorney added, “We are looking forward to Mr. Cosby’s second deposition in this lawsuit.”
On Tuesday, model Chloe Goins voluntarily dismissed her lawsuit against Cosby. She was one of dozens of women who had accused Cosby of rape or sexual assault, many claiming that he drugged them beforehand.
Numerous civil lawsuits have been filed against the comedian. Cosby has denied the allegations, and in some cases sued his accusers for defamation.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney said earlier this month that it would not pursue criminal charges against Cosby based on the accusations of two of his accusers.
A pre-trial hearing on a criminal case brought against Cosby based on accusations brought by former Temple University employee Andrea Constand is also taking place Tuesday.