Medical examiner says combination of drugs found in singer's body
A toxicology screening has revealed that Chris Kelly, a member of the musical group Kris Kross, died of a drug overdose.
Medical investigators told the Associated Press that Kelly had a combination of drugs in his system. Last May, police were called to Kelly's Atlanta-area home in response to reports that he was unresponsive. Emergency workers administered CPR and he was later transferred to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Betty Honey of the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s office in Atlanta told the Associated Press that it was not clear what drugs were in Kelly's system. Honey did not immediately respond to a request by TheWrap for comment.
Kelly and his partner in the duo, Chris "Daddy Mac" Smith, were known for the hit single "Jump." The anthemic rap song became nearly ubiquitous when it hit the airwaves in 1992, climbing up the charts to the number one position on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
However, Kelly struggled to adjust to life once the spotlight faded. Family members told police that the singer had issues with drug abuse.
← Previous Story