For the second installment in its new series, TheWrap brings you Will Ferrell‘s Top 10 movie quotes in honor of the release of “Get Hard” this weekend.
Ferrell has had too many memorable movie quotes to count over the past 18 years after breaking out on the big screen in “Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery” and “A Night at the Roxbury” in 1997, so needless to say, it was hard to whittle the list down.
While we’re aiming to keep it to one classic line per movie, we included multiple quotes from several movies due to their immense quotability.
If there’s a line we missed, let us know in the comments section below. And if you haven’t seen some of these movies, be sure to catch up on Ferrell’s catalogue of comedy classics.
1. OLD SCHOOL – “You’re my boy, Blue!”
Ferrell took the arrested development trope to new heights as a middle-aged man who refuses to give up on being a fraternity brother partyer along the likes of Luke Wilson and Vince Vaughn. But they had nothing on octogenarian member Blue (Patrick Cranshaw), whose death provided one of the film’s most iconic moments.
2. (tie) ZOOLANDER – “I feel like I’m taking crazy pills!” and “He’s so hot right now.”
As the outlandish fashion mogul with a hidden agenda, Ferrell’s Mogatu had plenty of iconic moments. The two lines here are among “Zoolander”-isms still often uttered in appropriate situations by fans and anyone with a general sense of pop culture.
3. ANCHORMAN – “Stay classy, San Diego!”
Perhaps the character Ferrell is most synonymous with, Ron Burgundy had no shortage of memorable lines. But it’s hard to top his signature nightly sign-off from the anchor desk.
4. OLD SCHOOL (again) – “We’re going streaking!”
It’s hard to top a surprise Snoop Dogg performance cameo, but Ferrell’s pale naked body certainly did the trick, proving he would go to any lengths for the sake of comedy.
5. ELF – “Son of a nutcracker!” and “Santa! Oh my God! Santa, here? I know him! I know him!”
Ferrell’s most family-friendly character is also one of his most iconic. From insisting on putting syrup on spaghetti to making every room he’s in look like a Christmas wonderland, Buddy the Elf is beloved for being full of naivete, good will and yes, one-liners.
6. WEDDING CRASHERS – “Hey Ma, can we get some meatloaf? Hey Ma, the meatloaf! We want it now! What is she doing? I never know what she’s doing back there. Ma, the meatloaf! Fuck!”
A third-act reveal in this Vince Vaughn-Owen Wilson comedy hit, Ferrell’s legendary wedding crasher Chazz Reinhold is revealed not to be some suave ladies’ man, but a 40-something guy who still lives with his mother and has succumbed to crashing funerals to pick up women.
7. TALLADEGA NIGHTS: THE BALLAD OF RICKY BOBBY – “Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! AAAAAHHH! Help me Tom Cruise!”
In a movie filled with redneck humor and memorable quotes, Ferrell’s Ricky Bobby’s biggest laugh-out-loud moment came when the race car driver tried to return to the track after a catastrophic accident, only to discover he’s still got some severe psychological issues. Hilarious!
8. STEP BROTHERS – “Do you wanna go do karate in the garage?”
Ferrell’s Brennan and John C. Reilly‘s Dale, two 40 year old men who just became step-brothers and roommates after their parents got married, can’t stand each other at first, before discovering they actually have tons in common and should probably be best friends instead.
9. ANCHORMAN 2: THE LEGEND CONTINUES – “By the hymen of Olivia Newton-John!”
Ron Burgundy returns in this sequel, and it’s hard to top such exclamations as “Great Odin’s Raven!” in the first film, but invoking the reproductive organs of a “Grease” star certainly is one way to go.
10. JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK – “No, the C.L.I.T. is real. It’s the female orgasm that’s the myth!”
File this one under “movies you forgot Will Ferrell was in.” But a small role as Federal Wildlife Marshal Willenholly still managed to produce one of his best on-screen one-liners.