Reaching more than 5 million monthly viewers in less than a year, ABC News Live seeks to reinvent the way news is delivered
Live OTT programming is playing a leading role in ABC News’ content strategy as the legacy network looks to attract viewers under 40.
Nearly a year after launching ABC News Live (a 24/7 OTT channel) on its owned and operated websites and on Roku’s AVOD platform, the effort has garnered more than 5 million views a month. “That’s not counting the number of people who watch the channel on Hulu TV or Facebook Watch,” said Colby Smith, the network’s SVP of content and partnerships, who could not disclose more specific data.
On Facebook, ABC News Live has captured the attention of news-seeking consumers. On the day of last fall’s midterm elections, for example, ABC News Live combined with the Network’s VOD content accounted for 54% of all Facebook video views, according to Delmondo, an official Facebook media solution partner. And more recently, over 20 million people tuned in to the ABC News Live Facebook Watch page for coverage on the fire that broke out at the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, according to Facebook data.
However, Facebook does not…
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- Access to full length Members-Only Video archive
- Video of notable sessions from TheWrap Events (TheGrill, Power Women Summit)
- VIP seating for TheWrap's Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to 'chill spots' at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers