Adam Sandler has claimed the top slot on the Forbes list of Most Overpaid Actors — not exactly a desirable ranking to lead. And it’s even worse if you’re No. 1 for the second year in a row, a feat the “Blended” star has managed to accomplish.
The Forbes list is based on fairly simple math: It takes an actor’s earnings from his or her last three movies and compares that to their box office returns. It’s nothing more than a basic return on investment, but it speaks volumes to their positions within in the industry.
Sandler’s films earned $3.20 for every dollar he was paid. In second-place, Johnny Depp‘s movies made $4.10 for each buck he made. Ben Stiller finished third at a mere $0.70 better, with Ryan Reynolds a dime behind him. Tom Hanks rounded out the Top 5, bringing in $5.20 for every dollar he was paid.
Some in the second half of the Top 10, such as Channing Tatum and Sandra Bullock, made the list because of massive backend paydays, not so much dropping bombs.
Here is the full Top 10:
1. Adam Sandler: $3.20 for every dollar paid
2. Johnny Depp: $4.10 for every dollar paid
3. Ben Stiller: $4.80 for every dollar paid
4. Ryan Reynolds: $4.90 for every dollar paid
5. Tom Hanks: $5.20 for every dollar paid
6. Will Ferrell: $6.60 for every dollar paid
7. Channing Tatum: $6.70 for every dollar paid
8. Denzel Washington: $6.90 for every dollar paid
9. Sandra Bullock: $9 for every dollar paid
10. Ben Affleck: $9.37 for every dollar paid