Anthony Scaramucci offered his best wishes to ex-Trump attorney Michael Cohen and says he already has plans to visit him in prison.
“I’m good friends with Michael Cohen. I talked to him the day before he left for jail. I just wished him well and I’ll go visit him, 100%,” Scaramucci told TheWrap Tuesday evening. “I don’t walk away from my friends.”
“They are limited to 10 people I think every two months or something like that, so I asked his wife to put me on the list,” Scaramucci added, referring to inmate visitor allowances.
The financier, who briefly served as President Trump’s White House communications director, made the remarks at a reception for Resident Magazine in New York City, which features Scaramucci and his wife, Deidre Ball, on the cover of their most recent issue.
In December 2018, Cohen was formally sentenced to three years in prison after pleading guilty to eight counts covering tax fraud, bank fraud and campaign finance violations. He has also admitted to lying to a Senate committee about the Trump Organizations plans to potentially build a Trump Tower in Moscow.
“I blame myself for the conduct which has brought me here today,” Cohen told the court in an apology at the time. “It was my own weakness and a blind loyalty to [Donald Trump] that led me to choose a path of darkness over light.” Cohen officially began serving his sentence at New York’s Federal Correctional Institution, Otisville on May 6.
During the 2016 campaign, Cohen had been an instrumental part of the Trump team, frequently appearing on television as a surrogate and also playing a key role in the payout of hush money to Stormy Daniels just days before the 2016 vote. Daniels has said she engaged in an extramarital affair with Trump back in 2006 — something the billionaire has consistently denied.
In his remarks to TheWrap, the Mooch also weighed in on his one-time acquaintance Michael Avenatti, who is currently facing dozens felony counts himself ranging from extortion, wire fraud, bank fraud. Just a year ago, the pair was rumored to be working on a cable news show.
“The prominent television agent Jay Sures discussed with executives at CNN and MSNBC the concept of a program where the two men would square off, according to three people briefed on the issue,” the New York Times’ Maggie Haberman and Michael Schmidt wrote in May 2018 piece.
“My guess is he’s got a lot to answer for based on the indictments and let’s see what happens,” Scaramucci told TheWrap — while saying any possibility of a show was definitely on ice.
“I would say the chances of Michael and I being offered a show today would be zero,” he said. “Whether it’s with Michael or anybody I have no plans to do a show.”
Avenatti did not immediately respond to request for comment from TheWrap.