"Bachelorette" contestant Lincoln Adim was convicted of indecent assault and battery last month, before this season's premiere.
"Mr. Adim was found guilty on May 21 of indecent assault and battery for groping and assaulting an adult female on a harbor cruise ship early on May 30, 2016," Jake Wark of the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office told TheWrap in a statement. This season of "The Bachelorette" premiered on May 28, and he's yet to be eliminated from Becca Kufrin's lineup of eligible bachelors.
"He was sentenced to one year in a house of correction, with that term suspended for a two-year probationary period," the statement continued. "The judge ordered him to stay away from the victim and attend three Alcoholics Anonymous meetings per week during those two years. If he complies with the judge's orders, he will not have to serve out his term, but if he fails to comply with those orders or re-offends, he could be ordered to serve out the year behind bars."
Wark added that "by law, he is expected to register as a sex offender."
ABC declined to comment on the matter when contacted by TheWrap. Producers Warner Bros. TV said that they had no prior knowledge of the incident when casting Adim, and said they're conducting an investigation to find out why his background check didn't include the charge.
"No one on 'The Bachelorette' production had any knowledge about the incident or charges when Lincoln Adim was cast, and he himself denied ever having engaged in or having been charged with any sexual misconduct," Warner Bros. said in a statement to TheWrap.
"We employ a well-respected and highly experienced third party who has done thousands of background checks consistent with industry standards to do a nationwide background check in this case," the statement continued. "The report we received did not reference any incident or charge relating to the recent conviction - or any other charges relating to sexual misconduct. We are currently investigating why the report did not contain this information, which we will share when we have it."
This isn't the first contestant on Kufrin's season to make headlines. Last month, Garrett Yrigoyen apologized for liking offensive Instagram posts.
"I am sorry to those who I offended, and I also take full responsibility for my 'likes' on Instagram that were hurtful and offensive," the medical sales rep said on Thursday from a new Instagram account, which he said he created to start fresh. ABC confirmed that the new account is his.
"[I] am taking steps to grow, become more educated, and be a better version of myself," he continued. "I am not perfect, and I will never be anywhere close, but now I will always be more informed and aware of what I am liking and supporting, not just on Instagram, but in life."
"Bachelorette" blogger Reality Steve was first to report the news of Adim's conviction.
"The Bachelorette" airs on ABC Mondays at 8 p.m.