Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton are fighting a heated battle against each other for the Democratic presidential candidacy.
But underneath the competition and vitriol, could these two kids get past their differences and find love?
Twitter seemed to think so on Tuesday, as the hashtag #BernieHillaryRomComs began trending and the Twitterati began offering suggestions on which romantic comedies Sanders and Clinton are best suited for.
More than one post referred to the lingering email scandal hanging over Clinton’s head, with one poster suggesting, “You’ve Got Classified Mail,” a play on the 1998 Tom Hanks-Meg Ryan film.
Another took aim at Clinton’s apparent fondness for political-action committees, offering artwork for “She’s All PAC,” a la the 1999 chestnut “She’s All That.”
Another wag suggested “My Best Friend’s Wedding,” playing on the appearance of Clinton and her husband Bill at the wedding of Clinton’s potential political rival, Donald Trump.
“Forgetting Sarah Palin,” suggested comedian Jen Kirkman.
“$27 Donations,” was one suggested starring role for grass-roots candidate Sanders.
Still others strayed beyond the rom-com genre, with one wiseacre suggesting “Man on Fire” (which was only really a romantic comedy if you have an extremely brutal view of romance) for Sanders.
See these and other suggestions below.
Forgetting Sarah Palin #BernieHillaryRomComs
– Jen Kirkman (@JenKirkman) April 12, 2016
– Kabir Iyengar (@kabiriyengar) April 12, 2016
– Jim (@Soupthemighty) April 12, 2016
– Sukie Conley (@SukieConley) April 12, 2016
– Mike I (@MikeI70) April 12, 2016
– Mark Eaton (@Mark13Eaton) April 12, 2016
– AJ⚡️Alvarez (@thunderalvarez) April 12, 2016
– Elizabeth Walker (@hydeyourfyres) April 12, 2016
– BernieMyBoo (@ron_nica) April 12, 2016
– jennifer dillon (@funkinatrix) April 12, 2016
– Casey Corbin (@CaseyCorbin) April 12, 2016