An attorney for Bill Cosby issued a statement on Sunday addressing resurfaced allegations of sexual assault, but said the veteran comedian won’t talk about the charges.
The alleged victim, actress Barbara Bowman, claimed that Cosby raped her in an essay in the Washington Post last week. She and other women have accused the comedian of assaults dating back to the 1980s.
“Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced,” said John P. Schmitt. “The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment. He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work. There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives.”
Over the years, a number of women have accused Cosby of sexual assault. But the allegations picked up steam this week after Bowman’s essay and a video from former “Saturday Night Live” writer Hannibal Buress calling Cosby out as a rapist for the alleged crimes.
Cosby also refused to address the allegations on Saturday, when he and his wife Camille were interviewed about their African art collection on National Public Radio.