Bill Cosby‘s wife Camille Cosby has spoken out about the barrage of sexual assault allegations leveled against her husband in recent weeks.
In a statement issued on Monday, she calls her husband “a kind man, a generous man.”
She went on to say “I continue to love” the former “The Cosby Show” star, and claimed, “He is the man you thought you knew.”
The sentiments are in contrast to the portrait of Cosby that has been presented in recent weeks, with alleged victim after alleged victim coming forward to claim that they were sexually assaulted by Cosby. In the statement, the comedian’s wife accuses the media of giving “a pass” to the alleged victims and perhaps not doing their due diligence in checking into their stories.
“A different man has been portrayed in the media over the last two months. It is the portrait of a man that I do not know,” said Cosby, who has been married to the comedian since 1964. “It is also a portrait painted by individuals whom many in the media have given a pass. There appears to be no vetting of my husband’s accusers before stories are published or aired. An accusation is published, and immediately goes viral.”
Cosby also drew parallels to the faulty Rolling Stone story regarding the alleged rape of a University of Virginia student: “The story was heart-breaking, but ultimately appears to be untrue. Many in the media were quick to link that story to stories about my husband — until that story unwound.
“None of us will ever want to be in the position of attacking a victim,” Cosby concludes. “But the question should be asked — who is the victim?”
In recent weeks Cosby has been deluged by claims from women who say that he sexually attacked them over the years, including one woman who claims that Cosby sexually battered her when she was 15 at the Playboy Mansion.
As the allegations have emerged, NBC has dashed plans to develop a comedy that would have starred Cosby, while Netflix postponed a comedy special featuring Cosby.
In the wake of the mounting allegations against 77-year-old Cosby, his attorney Martin Singer released a statement saying: “The new, never-before-heard claims from women who have come forward in the past two weeks with unsubstantiated, fantastical stories about things they say occurred 30, 40, or even 50 years ago have escalated far past the point of absurdity.
“These brand new claims about alleged decades-old events are becoming increasingly ridiculous, and it is completely illogical that so many people would have said nothing, done nothing, and made no reports to law enforcement or asserted civil claims if they thought they had been assaulted over a span of so many years,” Singer said.
Read the full statement below.
— ABC News (@ABC) December 15, 2014