Continue to site

Redirect to site in 15 seconds

‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ Saved by NBC 1 Day After Fox Cancellation

Peacock network picks up sitcom after Hulu, Netflix pass

Last Updated: May 12, 2018 @ 1:17 AM

Can we get a unironic “cool, cool, cool, cool, cool,” over here? ‘Cause “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” has been saved just one day after being canceled by Fox.

And you can aim your gleeful “NINE-NINE” shouts at NBC, for being the one to bring it back. The Peacock announced Friday night that it had picked up the Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher-led sitcom for a 13-episode Season 6.

“Ever since we sold this show to Fox I’ve regretted letting it get away, and it’s high time it came back to its rightful home,” said Robert Greenblatt, Chairman, NBC Entertainment. “Mike Schur, Dan Goor, and Andy Samberg grew up on NBC and we’re all thrilled that one of the smartest, funniest, and best cast comedies in a long time will take its place in our comedy line-up. I speak for everyone at NBC, here’s to the Nine-Nine!”

The cast and creator Dan Goor also took to Twitter to express their joy over being revived.

“So happy to announce: NBC IS PICKING UP BROOKLYN 99 for SEASON 6!!!” Samberg tweeted.

“Hey everyone, just wanted to say no big deal but….NBC JUST PICKED #BROOKLYN99 UP FOR SEASON 6!!! Thanks in no small part to you, the best fans in the history of the world! Nine-nine!!!!!!!!!” Goor wrote.

The cast includes Samberg (a former alum of NBC’s “Saturday Night Live”), Braugher, Terry Crews, Melissa Fumero, Joe Lo Truglio, Stephanie Beatriz, Chelsea Peretti, Dirk Blocker and Joel McKinnon Miller.

Goor executive produces along with Schur, David Miner and Luke Del Tredici. The 11th-hour revival marks Schur’s third show on NBC this season along with the recently-renewed “The Good Place” and the just ordered to series “Abby’s.” Goor and Schur previously worked together at NBC on “Parks and Recreation.”

Talks that “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” — produced by Universal TV, Fremulon, Dr. Goor Productions and 3 Arts Entertainment — was being eyed for a return elsewhere began just hours after the show fell victim to Fox’s pre-upfronts house-cleaning along with “The Mick” and “Last Man on Earth.” A Fox insider cited the network’s added night of “Thursday Night Football” and “a large portion of our new series renewed” as reasons for the trio of cancellations.

The news brought about an outpouring of support from fans who objected to the decision, including from Mark Hamill, Guillermo del Toro and Lin-Manuel Miranda —  who encouraged his followers to tweet “#RenewB99” to save the show.

An individual familiar with the discussions told TheWrap Thursday that producers Universal TV received interest from multiple other networks and streaming platforms about potentially picking up a sixth season of the show.

However, Hulu and Netflix ultimately passed on picking up the comedy.

According to the most current data from Nielsen, which includes a week of delayed viewing where available, “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” is averaging a 1.2 rating in the advertiser-coveted demographic and 2.7 million total viewers in its 8:30 p.m. Sunday time slot.

Those numbers planted it on the bubble for renewal at Fox this year, but it has been a critical darling since Season 1, so it was considered more than likely to be picked up again. And it was — just by NBC.

See the cast and creator’s tweets below.

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” airs on Sundays at 8:30/7:30 c on Fox — for now.