Death Valley National Park denies its tweets about Japanese-American internment camps on Wednesday were in any way a protest against Donald Trump.
The park’s official Twitter account sent several tweets with pictures of Japanese internees on the same day the president signed an executive order to begin construction of a wall on the border with Mexico.
“During WWII Death Valley hosted 65 endangered internees after the #Manzanar Riot. #JapaneseAmericanInternment,” read one Death Valley tweet.
Another included a picture of a Japanese American internee with the caption: “Togo Tanaka: interned at Manzanar and Cow Creek (Death Valley) during WWII #JapaneseAmericanInternment.”
But a spokesperson for Death Valley told TheWrap the tweets are not related to the Trump administration’s executive orders, but rather something the park does regularly.
“This is part of Death Valley’s history,” Abby Wines, a spokesperson for the park, told TheWrap. “There are multiple national park services that exist primarily to interpret Japanese American internment.”
Death Valley National Park has a connection to Japanese internment camps. After a riot began in a camp in Manzanar in December 1942, some of the internees were moved to a separate camp in Death Valley.
As TheWrap previously reported, on Tuesday, the Badlands National Park’s official Twitter account went rogue, sending out a flurry of climate change statistics and facts after the Trump administration froze all grants and contracts by the Environmental Protection Agency.
The National Park Service deleted the Tweets and apologized.
Badlands’ defiant outburst followed a brief suspension of all National Park accounts after the National Park Service tweeted Friday a side-by-side photo comparing the size of Obama’s 2009 inauguration crowd and the crowd that showed up for Trump.
— Death Valley NP (@DeathValleyNPS) January 25, 2017