New Yorker, Vanity Fair Pull Out of White House Correspondents’ Dinner Parties

President Trump’s constant attacks on the media are causing news organizations to skip events

Last Updated: February 3, 2017 @ 8:17 AM

The White House Correspondents’ Dinner is taking place despite President Trump’s constant attacks on the media, but The New Yorker and Vanity Fair have pulled out of the festivities, according to The New York Times.

The New Yorker will cancel its annual kickoff party, magazine spokeswoman Natalie Raabe told the Times. In addition, Vanity Fair will not co-sponsor the afterparty, which is typically among the hottest tickets in town and packed with celebrities.

Vanity Fair editor and longtime Trump rival Graydon Carter said, “Trump,” when asked why he will spend the weekend fishing instead of hosting the party, the Times reported.

Carter has been the editor of Vanity Fair since 1992 and his feud with Trump goes back further than that. In the 1980s, Spy magazine — a magazine that Carter co-founded — called Trump a “short-fingered vulgarian.”

TheWrap previously reported that the annual dinner would go on despite Trump’s feud with the media.

“We’ve received some queries about the 2017 White House Correspondents’ Dinner, which will be the first since the new administration took office,” White House Correspondents’ Association President Jeff Mason wrote to members in a Thursday email obtained by TheWrap. “The White House Correspondents’ Association will hold its annual dinner on April 29 at the Washington Hilton.”

The organization has not yet announced a host for the annual event, which typically draws top TV and print news reporters as well as Hollywood celebrities. In recent years, the so-called “nerd prom” has become a showcase for pointed political satire for a rotating line-up of comedians, including Cecily Strong and Larry Wilmore.

Trump and members of his team have been increasingly combative with members of the press, referring to CNN as “fake news” and labeling mainstream media “the opposition party.” And Trump himself has been outspoken about political satire during his campaign and presidency, taking particular aim at NBC’s “Saturday Night Live.”

It is unclear if Trump will attend the event. A White House spokesperson did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.

Keep
Reading...

Looks like you’re enjoying reading
Keep reading by creating
a free account or logging in.