Common, Diane Warren, Common, T. Bone Burnett and other top songwriters will gather Monday to discuss their work on some of this year’s most buzzed-about films.
TheWrap is sponsoring the 2018 Oscar Song Contender event, which includes a screening of clips from films featuring the songs as well as a panel discussion moderated by TheWrap Awards Editor Steve Pond.
• Multiple award-winners Diane Warren and Common for “Stand Up for Something” (from the film Marshall)
• Academy Award-winning singer/songwriter Ryan Bingham for “How Shall a Sparrow Fly” (from the film Hostiles)
• Raphael Saadiq and Taura Stinson who along with Laura Karpman wrote “Jump” (from the film Step)
• Academy Award-winning actor, writer and director Kenneth Branagh who now adds songwriter to his list of accomplishments by writing the lyrics to “Never Forget” (from the film Murder on the Orient Express) written with Patrick Doyle
• Music chameleon and raconteur Elvis Costello will discuss “You Shouldn’t Look at Me That Way” (from the film “Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool”)
• Legendary songwriter, producer and musician T. Bone Burnett & OneRepublic Frontman Ryan Tedder for “Truth to Power” (from the film “An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power”)
Exclusive video from the evening will be available on TheWrap’s Facebook page.
The program, hosted by TheWrap founder and editor-in-chief Sharon Waxman and presented by Dolby Laboratories, will also be re-broadcast on Monday, December 18, at 7 p.m. on SiriusXM’s music talk channel Volume.