Erik Menendez will open up for the first time in over a decade about the violent murders of his parents in A&E’s limited series, “The Menendez Murders: Erik Tells All.”
In the trailer for the new docu series, the younger Menendez, now 46, speaks through the phone from Donovan Correctional Facility.
“I’m Erik Menendez. I’m speaking to you from the Donovan Correctional Facility,” he says in the trailer. “I’m serving life in prison without the possibility of parole. I’ve heard many different versions of my life told in the media, and those stories are fictional. I think it’s time people hear the truth in my own words without the restrictions of a court room.”
“From the moment after, I wanted to go back in time,” he says. “It was so wrong. I didn’t want my parents dead — I just wanted the abuse to stop. Years and years of pain exploded that night in an unimaginable violence. It is my own personal hell.”
On Aug. 20, 1989, Lyle and and Erik Menendez shot their wealthy parents in their mansion using shotguns they bought just days before the murders. Their father had been a successful Cuban-American business executive, while their mother was a homemaker and a socialite. Both had been shot in the kneecap (among other wounds) which made authorities believe the brothers wanted it to look like a mob hit.
Prosecutors argued that the brothers killed their parents to receive the family fortune, while the defense argued it was a retaliation for enduring years of their parents’ abuse. Erik testified that he and his brother lived in fear of their father, adding that their father had sexually abused him.
Erik declined to be interviewed for an ABC special earlier this year, but in 1996, he told ABC’s Barbara Walters that he felt “tremendous remorse for the slayings.” Erik did an interview with People in 2005.
The series will debut on Nov. 30 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on A&E.
Watch the video above.