A day after detailing being raped on Twitter, Evan Rachel Wood said Tuesday that she’s taking a timeout from social media.
“Will be taking a break from social media for the time being,” the “Westworld” star wrote. “Thank you for all your support and courageous stories.”
The actress added, “You are not alone. xo.”
On Monday, Wood shared a letter that she sent to Rolling Stone, which was preparing a story on the actress. The letter, which according to the magazine was received the day after Donald Trump won the White House in this year’s presidential election, said that Wood had been raped twice, once by a significant other while the relationship was ongoing.
“Yes. I have been raped. By a significant other while we were together. And on a separate occasion, by the owner of a bar,” Wood wrote in the letter.
The actress added that both rapes took place “many many years ago.”
Wood also noted that she was initially reluctant do disclose the accounts.
“I think, like a lot of women, I had the urge to not make it a sob story, to not make it about me,” the actress shared. “I think deep down I also didn’t want to be accused of doing it for attention, or told that it wasn’t a big deal, or, ‘That’s not really rape.'”
Despite her previous reluctance, the actress continued, “I don’t believe we live in a time where people can stay silent any longer. I certainly can’t. Not given the state our world is in with its blatant bigotry and sexism.”
She continued, “I am still standing. I am alive. I am happy. I am strong. But I am still not OK.”
Read Wood’s final — for now, anyway — tweet below.
Will be taking a break from social media for the time being.
Thank you for all your support and courageous stories.
You are not alone. xo
– #EvanRachelWould (@evanrachelwood) November 29, 2016