A former “America’s Next Top Model” contestant is suing Bravo, Ryan Seacrest Productions and other defendants over a scene in which she appeared “nearly fully nude” while changing in a dressing room in a 2017 episode of “Shahs of Sunset.”
Kiara Belen filed the lawsuit last week in Los Angeles Superior Court against Ryan Seacrest Productions, Ryan Seacrest Enterprises, Bravo Media, Truly Originals, and 50 unnamed defendants. Reps for Seacrest, Bravo and Truly Original declined TheWrap’s requests for comment Tuesday.
Belen, who gained prominence after being declared the runner-up in Cycle 19 of “America’s Next Top Model,” says in the suit that the incident took place backstage at a 2016 Fall Los Angeles Fashion Week show by fashion designer Erik Rosete. Though she is not in the “Shahs of Sunset” cast, she said she did appear in the episode, in ways she did not authorize.
The lawsuit said the “Shahs of Sunset” episode, titled “Hava Negila, Hava Tequila,” follows Belen, cast member Golnesa “GG” Gharachedaghi, and others participating in the runway show both while they were backstage and on the runway.
Belen’s lawsuit claims intrusion, tortious appropriation of name or likeness, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and negligence.
The suit says two scenes made “unauthorized uses” of Belen’s likeness: when Belen walked down a runway and a cast member called her a “b—-,” and when Belen was changing clothes in a “private dressing area designated for the female models.” The suit said her “nearly completely nude body” was “exposed and being filmed.”
The filing also asserts that “the exposure of Ms. Belen’s nearly fully nude likeness is heightened” because Belen was a few months pregnant at the time, and “was dealing with the challenge of her body changing as a result, leading to a period of great insecurity.”
Belen is seeking damages “in excess of $100,000,” for each of her five claims.