French TV Movie About Deadly Bataclan Terror Attack Postponed Amid Outcry by Victims’ Groups

“We are scandalised that such a film could see the light of day so soon after such a violent event,” one petitioner writes

Last Updated: December 29, 2017 @ 11:03 AM

A French TV film about the 2015 terror attack on the Bataclan music venue in Paris has been shelved amid backlash from victims’ associations. Broadcast France 2, which says it is still editing “Ce soir-la (That Night),” the movie about the incident that claimed over 100 lives, but it’s transmission will be postponed until they have “widely consulted” with the victims groups.

Claire Peltier, whose partner David was one of the victim’s killed in the attack, has lead the mission to pause the broadcast of “such a painful” story, with a petition that has attracted 39,000 signatures. “We are scandalized that such a film could see the light of day so soon after such a violent event,” Peltier wrote.

“Ce soir-la,” is a love story starring Sandrine Bonnaire, that is set on the night of the November 2015 terror attacks in Paris, when the rock band The Eagles of Death Metal were performing for about 1,500 people as masked gunmen invaded the venue firing at the band and their fans, according to the Agence France Presse news agency.

Arthur Denouveaux, the head of the victims’ group Life For Paris, told the AFP: “Even if we have never asked for censorship, we are glad that modesty and restraint have prevailed,” Arthur Denouveaux, the head of the Life For Paris group told AFP, adding that it was not the group’s “role to be a censor”.

“No transmission date had been fixed for the film… which has not yet been seen by the station’s management,” France 2 said.