Gillian Anderson Just Trolled Fox Over ‘X-Files’ Cancellation

The truth really is out there — and Scully’s serving it up.

Last Updated: May 14, 2018 @ 5:05 PM

In perfect Dana Scully fashion, “The X-Files” star Gillian Anderson dryly demolished one explanation for why there won’t be a 12th season of the show.

After TVLine’s Michael Ausiello tweeted an article explaining that Fox didn’t intend to make a 12th season due to Anderson’s exit from the series, Anderson responded, “Well Michael, the truth is…after exit of 77% of viewership.”

The show’s ratings for its 11th season have been dismal, with the show’s finale even failing to compete with prior episodes in the season and earning only a 0.8/4 rating and 3.4 million viewers.

Anderson departed the show after the revived 11th season and the show’s creator Chris Carter has said it won’t go on without her. And Anderson announced way back at Comic-Con that she intended to only return opposite David Duchovny’s Mulder for just the one season.

“I’ve said from the beginning this is it for me,” Anderson said in an interview with TV Insider last month. “I was a bit surprised by people’s reaction to my announcement… because my understanding was that this was a single season.”

Carter had previously been firm in stating that he had no intention of continuing the show, saying that the show without Scully wouldn’t be “my X-Files.” But in an interview with TVLine Carter changed his tune.

“I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be more “X-Files,” in some shape or form,” Carter said. “I think there are lots more stories to tell and ways to tell them. I’m leaving this as a giant cliffhanger, and Gillian has announced that she’s not coming back. Hard-core X-Files fans know there have been no real endings on the show.”