In the end, after all the DUIs, rehab stints and probation violations, it could turn out to be a $2,500 necklace that sinks Lindsay Lohan.
The Los Angeles District Attorney’s office announced Tuesday that they will charge Lohan with felony grand theft at an arraignment on Wednesday.
The D.A.’s office said in a statement Tuesday:
Lindsay Lohan will be charged Wednesday with one count of felony grand theft for allegedly stealing a $2,500 necklace from a Venice jewelry store.
Lohan will be arraigned at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Airport Superior Court, Department 144, said Deputy District Attorney John Lynch, head deputy of the Airport Branch.
Lohan will be in the courtroom for the hearing.
Prosecutors are filing criminal charges against the “Machete” actress for allegedly stealing a $2,500 necklace from a Venice, Calif. boutique near her apartment. Lohan, who is still on probation for her 2007 DUI, could spend up to three years in jail.
Read also: 5 Ways Lindsay Lohan Can Save Herself
Attempts by TheWrap to reach Lohan’s lawyer Shawn Chapman Holley for comment were not returned immediately.
However, as the initial allegations in this latest Lohan incident swirled, Holley did release a statement on the matter on Feb. 5.
“We vehemently deny these allegations,” Lohan ‘s lawyer said in a statement, “and, if charges are filed, we will fight them in court, not in the press.”
The Los Angeles Police Department, TheWrap reported on Feb. 2, handed over its investigation into whether the actress stole the jewelry from the store to the District Attorney’s office last week.
The store alleges that Lohan, who has been living in the Venice area since getting out of the Betty Ford Center in early January, took the necklace on Jan. 22.
The owner saw video of Lindsay wearing the necklace on Jan. 30 and reported the matter to police. LAPD got a search warrant late Tuesday but before they could search her nearby residence the necklace was dropped off at a police station by a friend of Lindsay’s.
This latest courtroom appearance could see Lohan — who the Riverside County D.A. still is considering charging with battery from a run-in with a staff member while LiLo was at the Betty Ford – is yet another potential fast track back behind bars for the actress.
L.A. Superior Court Judge Elden Fox, the latest overseer in the seemingly never ending saga of Lohan’s 2007 DUI case and subsequent probation, decided not to put her in jail after the 24-year old failed a mandatory random drug test in October.
However, Fox did tell Lohan, even as the actress entered Betty Ford for three months, that he would put her behind bars for six months if she violated her probation again or ran afoul of the law again. Lohan, who has been to jail three times in connection with her 2007 DUI case, is expected back before Judge Fox for a probationary progress hearing on Feb. 25.
Of course, with today’s announcement and Wednesday’s hearing, Lohan could already be facing some rough justice before then.