The longtime editor of Vanity Fair is stepping down in December.
“I want to leave while the magazine is on top,” Graydon Carter, who has served as the outlet’s editor for 25 years, told The New York Times, Thursday. “I want to leave while it’s in vibrant shape, both in the digital realm and the print realm. And I wanted to have a third act — and I thought, time is precious.”
While he wouldn’t name names, Carter told The New York Times he has an idea for who might take his place, and he’ll give suggestions to the bosses at Conde Nast. Adam Moss of New York Magazine and Janice Min of The Hollywood Reporter have been rumored as contenders for the coveted position.
“I want to make
Carter has helped to establish Van
“The romance of the magazine business will continue, but
Carter thought about leaving earlier this year, but the election of Trump inspired him to stay a little longer. He’s been jabbed on Twitter by Trump more than once — and those 42 negative tweets now act as decoration.
“So I blew up all the tweets and I framed them all. They’re all on a wall — this is the only wall Trump’s built — outside my office,” Carter told The New York Times. “There’s a space left for one more tweet to complete the bottom line. So if he does, I’m just going to call our framer, and say we need one more.”
“It should be a little bright spot in his administration,” Carter quipped. “And if he’s smart, he won’t say anything.”