Fox News Settles Gretchen Carlson Sexual Harassment Lawsuit for $20 Million

“I am gratified that 21st Century Fox took decisive action after I filed my Complaint,” former network anchor says

Fox News has agreed to settle Gretchen Carlson’s sexual harassment lawsuit against Roger Ailes, the network announced Tuesday.

According to Vanity Fair, Carlson will receive $20 million. Fox News did not disclose a financial figure, but did offer an apology.

“21st Century Fox is pleased to announce that it has settled Gretchen Carlson’s lawsuit,” the network said in a statement obtained by TheWrap. “During her tenure at Fox News, Gretchen exhibited the highest standards of journalism and professionalism. She developed a loyal audience and was a daily source of information for many Americans. We are proud that she was part of the Fox News team. We sincerely regret and apologize for the fact that Gretchen was not treated with the respect and dignity that she and all of our colleagues deserve.”

CNN also reported the settlement amount is $20 million, adding Ailes will pay for a portion of it himself. Ailes’ attorney Susan Estrich denied the report, telling TheWrap that Ailes is “not contributing.”

“I am gratified that 21st Century Fox took decisive action after I filed my Complaint. I’m ready to move on to the next chapter of my life in which I will redouble my efforts to empower women in the workplace,” Carlson said in a statement. “I want to thank all the brave women who came forward to tell their own stories and the many people across the country who embraced and supported me in their #StandWithGretchen. All women deserve a dignified and respectful workplace in which talent, hard work and loyalty are recognized, revered and rewarded.”

Carlson shook up the media landscape earlier this summer when she filed the lawsuit against Ailes, which has resulted in numerous women coming forward with similar claims. Ailes stepped down from his position as chairman and CEO of Fox News, but has denied all claims against him.

“Carlson has agreed not to bring any further legal action against other executives at Fox News, or against the company itself,” according to Vanity Fair.

Ailes recently hired the libel lawyer who helped bury Gawker.com to take on New York Magazine, the lead publication in detailing the sexual harassment allegations that led to his downfall.